Historical Vinnytsia

The city of Vinnytsia and its territorial community have a glorious centuries-old history. Remains of ancient settlements indicate that its territory has been inhabited since ancient times. According to the existing historiographical tradition, the city is founded in 1363, when after the victory in the Battle of the Blue Waters (1362) Grand Duke Olgerd of Lithuania, liberating Podillia from the Golden Horde, created the Podillia principality under the rule of Koriatovych princes and ordered to fortify the place. In 1393 the separate Podillia principality was liquidated, and the first Vinnytsia headman was appointed in the city. At the same time, a bourgeois community was formed, the existence of which was legally recognized in the middle of the 15th century. Vinnytsia had the right to own city land, auctions and fairs, trade and industrial establishments and other self-governing rights. From the beginning of the 16th century, the burghers regularly elected viits to govern the city.

According to the Union of Lublin (1569), Vinnytsia became part of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. Since then, a new stage of colonization of local lands has begun. From the 1570s, the starosta government besieged the castle villages of Khyzhyntsi, Vyshnia, Tsvizhyn, Vedmedka, and others. In 1598 the city became the center of Bratslav voivodeship, actively growing territorially: the suburbs of Sadky, Slobidka Dubytskoho, Vinnytsia Khutory, Mali Khutory, Shchytky and Telepenky appeared. Thanks to an understanding between starostas and the bourgeois community, on May 30, 1640, Vinnytsia received the Magdeburg right under the privilege of King Wladyslaw IV. With the beginning of Khmelnytskyi Uprising (1648–1657) Vinnytsia became the center of the Cossack Hundred of the Kalnytsia Regiment, and in 1653–1710 (with breaks) it was a regimental city of the Ukrainian Cossacks. As a result of the Ruin, from the beginning of the 18th century the burghers of Vinnytsia actually lost the right to self-government. The struggle to restore the status of the bourgeois community began in the middle of the century and ended in 1790, when Vinnytsia received confirmation of the privileges under Magdeburg law.

According to the second division of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (1793), Vinnytsia was subordinated to the authorities of the Russian Empire. In 1793–1796 it was the center of the Bratslav province, and in 1796–1797 it was the center of the Bratslav governorate. Soon administrative-territorial reorganizations lowered the status of Vinnytsia to the level of a county town (1797). The city continued to be governed by a magistrate, that was replaced in 1846 by the city council, a representative body of power. With the introduction of the city reform, Vinnytsia residents in 1880 received the right to elect members of the city council as an administrative body, and also created an executive body – the city government. Successful self-government ensured the sustainable development of the city for decades and allowed during the First World War to become the administrative center of Podillia province, which lasted until 1926.

During the Ukrainian Revolution of 1917–1921 and the rise of the Ukrainian People's Republic, Vinnytsia repeatedly had the status of the Provisional Capital of the Ukrainian People's Republic during 1918-1920. Under Soviet rule, Vinnytsia became the center of Vinnytsia region (1932) and reunited the Podillia lands. In 1930–1937, the settlements of Vinnytsia district were also subordinated to Vinnytsia City Council. The socio-economic and cultural potential of the city also grew due to the affilliation of the suburbs and surrounding villages of Stare Misto (1934), Piatnychany (1938), Tiazhyliv (1950), partly Vinnytsia Khutory, Sabariv (1967), Pyrohovo (1972).

With the restoration of Ukraine's independence (1991), the country's accession to the European Charter of Local Self-Government and the adoption of the Law of Ukraine "On Local Self-Government in Ukraine" (1997), a new stage of self-government of Vinnytsia territorial community began. The logic of socio-economic development of the city's body led to a significant expansion of the city limits (2015) and the creation of an amalgamated territorial community by joining to Vinnytsia the villages of Desna (2018), and from 2021 – Vinnytsia Khutory, Pysarivka, Stadnytsia, Havryshivka, Velyki Krushlyntsi, Mali Krushlyntsi, Shchytky.